Thursday, January 14, 2010

Beard Watch 2010


I am growing a beard. Not just any beard mind you... I'm not shaving until April 10, 2010. Some fellow teachers at my school at first thought it was just stubble for the holidays. Now that I'm starting to look like the lumberjack that I think has always been inside of me, they know me well enough to ask if it's for a show.

I'm currently in rehearsals to play Avram in Fiddler on the Roof at Hale Center Theatre. You don't know the character of Avram? I bet you do. You know the song "Anatevka" when the Jews are being forced to leave their village by the Russians? Avram is the one that sings "A hat." Got it now? I'm him.
This is the 3rd production of Fiddler that I've been in.
#1- 1985. The Russian soloist in "To Life" in my elementary school's production. My microphone falls down my pants. No one hears me. My sister Emily is a fluorescent ghost in the Dream Sequence. The actor playing Tevye gets in trouble for saying "shit" backstage with his microphone still on.
#2- 2000. The Russian soloist in "To Life" at Riverton High School's production of Fiddler. I again, play the Russian soloist because not one boy that auditions can sustain a high F# long enough. I'm also the musical and technical director. When "To Life" comes on, I run down onto the stage, sing, start to dance with Teyve, and then run back upstairs to direct the spotlights.

It's strange because a lot of teachers ask me if I'm Tevye when I tell them I'm in Fiddler. I think they're just secretly telling me that I'm fat.

So, I'm not allowed to shave or cut my hair until the show is over. I think by then I'll look like Steve Carell in Evan Almighty. Maybe I'll even let birds live in my whiskers to protect them from the cold. A stage crew student told me today that if my beard gets long enough, I could braid it and look like Satan. I sarcastically told him thanks, but he assured me it was a compliment.

Maybe if you ask Jackie kindly, she'll post a picture of me on her blog with my 3 week beard. Beard watch 2010 has begun!

2 comments:

Arianne said...

Do you go around talking to yourself/praying out loud a lot? Maybe that's why they think you're Teyve. But it's more likely that they think you're a star.

Does the beard and long hair keep you warm?

Jacks said...

Um, I'm currently letting you in the house with a beard. If you DO let a bird nest there, my good graces may go south. Where I will be sending that bird.