Friday, December 11, 2009

Things I Like (School)



  • I like it when students are prepared for their classroom performances. That way I can give them more notes than, "memorize."

  • I like it when students go to a theatrical production somewhere and tell other students to not climb over seats or put their feet on the chair in front of them.

  • I like it when students say that they are so excited for our New York trip that if they think about it too much they can't sleep.

  • I like it when one of my drama club officers who works at In-&-Out burger brings me 2 Double-Doubles before the restaurant is open to the public.

  • I like it when I can send my musical theatre students into the auditorium to rehearse without me and I go in to find them actually rehearsing.

  • I like that Millie can attend pre-school at my school, meet Santa Claus there and tell him that what she wants for Christmas is "a secret."

  • I like it when Film Studies student turn their papers in early- and when they all write on different movies and not just Forrest Gump.

  • I like it when students say on their quiz on the film Tootsie that the main social issue in the film is NOT cross dressing.

  • I like watching our school Improvisation Team perform with Laughing Stock for a charity performance. Very funny to watch a student pretend he has no bones.

  • I like reading students play critiques- especially when they don't like the show.

  • I like it when Theatre 1 students, after the voice and diction unit, call me Mr. EaTon- with a T.

  • I like it when our musical makes enough money to buy another microphone.

  • I like that I only ended up with 1 negative letter about Les Miserables (the letter wanted to know why I didn't do the high school version of the show- I'll take it as a compliment that they thought I did the Broadway version).

  • I like it that Millie and Ellis feel comfortable enough around the MDT students to go up to them and a: demand to be played with or b: sit on their laps without warning.

  • I think I like it when 3 students and 1 alumni are with me at callbacks for Hale Center Theatre's Fiddler on the Roof.
  • I like it when students get nervous about auditions (as long as I know they're prepared).
  • I like it when my students work with college professors, choreographers or professionals and do not embarrass myself, themselves or the school.

  • I LOVE my fellow faculty (esp. performing arts- but Brent Cox in Yearbook knows he is an honorary member of the Performing Arts Faculty- and his wife Amanda too) and staff. It's why I'm staying at Riverton instead of Herriman (that and the fact that I now have a music library worth over $4000...)

2 comments:

Amy Mak said...

Just so you know - a Thanksgiving guest was from Utah and when I told her you were the theatre man at Riverton she went all wide-eyed and said, "They have a REALLY good program there." And she's an amazing singer and knows what she's talking about. Cheers to you! And ha ha - loved Millie's Christmas wish. Now what will you do?

Clin A. Eaton said...

Thanks! My Music, Dance, Theatre class is doing a big Broadway Revue January 8 and 11th. You're invited.