Sunday, April 19, 2009

Eaton Spring Break 09 Day #2

5:00am. Amazingly, Jackie is the first one up (propelled by the spirit of Walt) and into the shower. While Jackie showers, I wake up the girls with the scent of strawberry Pop-Tarts. After a quick breakfast, we are out the door at 6:00am ready for the House the Mouse built.

The sun was just starting to come up as we walked, alone, into the ticketing area. No one was stationed at any bag check tables so we wandered around the plaza between California Adventure and the Magic Kingdom until an elderly couple came up to us and said we needed to wait outside the bag check area. The couple seemed like an elderly mission couple on Temple Square (and since I served in the Anaheim California Mission, I think it's a real possibility that some of our senior couples served at the Magic Kingdom). After waiting until 6:30am, the bag checkers checked our backpack (filled with animal crackers, Yogos, fruit snacks and water) we were off to wait for another 1/2 hour outside the admittance gate (#16). At this point, Millie announced that she was tired and wanted to go home.
After the countdown, in we raced to rent stroller for the day for Millie (Ellis was already in her umbrella stroller). The Eaton family ran through Sleeping Beauty's castle- Millie wanted to stop but we were on a mission. We were here for fun dammit!
So, in that early "magic hour" of 7:00am we rode:

Alice in Wonderland (first on the ride- I had never ridden it before. It was strange).

Dumbo (amazingly, this was also my first time riding. Pretty fun. I tried to get Jackie stuck in a elephant by herself, but she kept Ellis with her).

Peter Pan (the longest line- still kept moving though. Millie kept looking for Tinkerbell).

Pinocchio (fun because Millie just watched the movie with me).

Carousel (it's a Carousel- but it plays Disney tunes).

Casey Jr. (I thought we wouldn't make it on but they shoved us with another family into some sort of animal cage. I wish I had taken a picture).

So- 6 rides in a hour- not bad at all. It was a little overcast- but so far no rain. They then opened the rest of the park and we then went on:

Splash Mountain (because it was kind of cold, there was no line and they put me in a log by myself. I sat in the middle and didn't get wet at all. I also felt kind of like a sex offender riding this ride alone...and with empty logs in front of me and behind me...) While I rode, Jackie and the girls rode the Winnie the Pooh ride two times in a row. Then we switched and I rode Pooh (withe the girls again- that would have been Really weird to ride in a honey pot all by myself) and Jackie rode Splash (but not alone. She nobly acted as a shield for others on the ride).

Haunted Mansion (Everyone did fine. It was fun answering Millie's questions like: why does that person's head come off?)

Pirates of the Caribbean (Millie got wet and there were tears).

Jungle Cruise (Does the narration get worse over the years?)

After all that, we had a break and I went to check out Indiana Jones. This is when we ran into Spring Break crowds- the line was spilling out to the Tiki Room so I grabbed 3 Fast Passes for later.

We then headed on the train to Toontown- where we did:
Roger Rabbit (really fun- even when it broke down and we sat for 10 minutes waiting to be rescued. We then got to go again).

Goofy's House

Mickey's House (where Ellis fouled herself waiting in line for Mickey)
Donald's Boat

Chip N' Dale's Tree (I hit my head hard on a ceiling)
then it was off for:
Small World (really long- but the kids loved it and it was fun seeing the kid sized versions of Disney Characters).
We then caught the train to Tomorrowland where I got FastPasses for Autopia and we had lunch with 1/2 the park by the Jedi Knight Training Stage. By then the park was bursting so we went back to the hotel for naps. After naps we went back and did:
Finding Nemo (this was by far the longest wait- at least 60 min. but we tried to hit it when the parade was going. The ride is worth it if you bring: candy ring-pops for the girls and bubbles for the family behind you whose children are having melt-downs).

After Nemo it was FastPass Autopia (where Millie drove like an 80 year old drunk man- or a 3 year old) and then it was back over to Indiana. At that point, everyone was done and Millie kept screaming "I want to go home" and Ellis's eyes had pretty much rolled back in her head so I grabbed the Pineapple Tiki Room Ice Cream while Jackie pawned our Indiana Fastpasses to a family- who then told us the Fastpass line was really short. Oh well.
Jackie took the girls back while I went to Millie's (like a poor cousin to Marie Callendars) and got dinner. Of course when I got back, the girls had a second wind and were bouncing on the bed with joy and delight. The girls (Jackie included) ate their macaroni and cheese while I ate my steak followed by all of us passing out cold. Our first day at the park was done!

4 comments:

Emmy said...

I think we'll have to go when our youngest child is 5 or 6. Wow. I can't believe you guys did this with two little ones. I'm not sure I would call it a vacation...
But- it's great to read about you doing it!! Have some extra fun for us! We're going to watch a bit of the Boston Marathon tomorrow for Patriot's day!

Clin A. Eaton said...

It wasn't bad at all- as long as you can go back and have naps, it wasn't that bad and we would do it again.

Judy Tan said...

Hey, Chandler started at nine months and we haven't looked back since. He will be going on his seventh time in 13 years. Not bad! Oh what am I talking about, that is one lucky kid. Heck I am even jealous of him and I'm his mother. I attended every one of those trips with him. Man, I wish my parents had acquired their testimony of disney long before I was an adult! I could have had some great childhood.

Jacks said...

Amen Judy!