Sunday, September 13, 2009

Turning 34



So far, my 34th year on this planet is pretty good.
Since my birthday was on a Sunday, Jackie and I got a sitter on Saturday. Off we went to the City of Salt Lake to frolic and play.
The day began with a trip to the Utah School of Massage Therapy. There was a huge wait so we put in our names and we were off to a matinee of the great film (500) Days of Summer. Since it was my birthday weekend, Jackie participated in carbs by sharing a popcorn with me at the theatre.
The film was great (and had a great soundtrack too).
After that, it was back for hour long massages. We then went and had a four course dinner at The Melting Pot- a fondue restaurant. We got the 4 Cheese fondue (with garlic and pesto) that we ate with bread, vegetables and apple slices. Then we got our salad with tomatoes, mozzarella and heavy basalmic vinegar. After that, we ate the oil based main course- which was a variety of shrimp, chicken, sirloin, ravioli and vegetables that we dipped in a variety of batters and dipping sauces. We finished off our meal with the cookies and cream chocolate fondue which came with cheesecake, strawberries, rice crispy treats, bananas and pound cake for dipping.
After that, we went home, got the girls, went to Smith's, got mistaken for a homeless family (by a nice older lady behind us in line that felt bad for Millie because I was not letting her get any Mike-n-Ikes- and because Millie and Ellis looked like urchins out of a Dickens novel).
We then got home and watched a long French film called I've Loved You So Long.
The next day (my actual birthday) began with a fun trip to Priesthood Executive Committee at 8:00am. Followed by church where Millie had a melt down in Sacrament Meeting. After church, Jackie allowed me to have a nice long nap followed by my favorite meal- Thanksgiving dinner- shared with my parents and my brother Tim.
My presents were a case of Mexican Coke (the drink- not the powder) and an advertisement for a LG 50" plasma tv. This was a good present because I've owned our old tv since 1998 and the picture was starting to turn permanantly pink. It was also a surprise because if you've ever met Jackie, you know that purchasing a birthday present like this goes against everything in her DNA- Jackie had purchased it two days previously (they didn't have any in stock)- so we were off on Labor Day to pick it up- along with a new sofa set for the downstairs family room. We continued my birthday celebration on Labor Day by eating breakfast at the Original Pancake House in Sugarhouse- where the girls feasted on berries and cream and Ellis would only eat in Jackie's lap.


All in all, a great birthday- even when we discovered that the sofa set in our family room only allows 4 inches for someone to get past it to get around the basement, it's the perfect accompaniment to the 50" plasma. And the new tv stand that took me and Jackie 5 hours to put together. Everyone's invited over to our house to watch Top Chef in all its 50" glory.

3 comments:

Amy Mak said...

Yippee! Gosh, you guys know how to eat! Gregor's very jealous about the t.v. Good job Jackie. He blames my DNA on his lack of a fabulous screen. Now she's ruined it. Happy birthday, boy!

Arianne said...

Wahoo! PARTY!

Emmy said...

Fun day! And Yummy. Wish we could watch some BYU football games at your house.
I tried to call on your B-day. We were up at the Makechnie's and I couldn't find your new number. (We looked you up on facebook!) Of course, I had no one else's number up there and Mom and Dad were still in VA. (The only number I know is the home one memorized.)
Anyway, Happy Birthday. Very late.
I'm glad you're my brother.