Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Play(s) the Thing...

So I recently was denied the rights to do the new/re-discovered Mark Twain play Is He Dead? for my high school play. Auditions are coming up in 3 weeks, so I need to start finding a play now. Here are some titles that intrigued me. Let me know what you think. (We have a big program at Riverton- but after doing such a huge musical, it's fun to do a show that is a little smaller- between 10-15 people).


Dracula vs. the Nazis- If I'm just basing this on title alone, this would win. Unfortunantly, this is a 2 person show (they play all of the characters).



Rumors- A funny farce- 5 girls, 5 guys (plus, 1 unit set. No set changes!)



A Flea in Her Ear- a huge hit a few years ago at the Shakespeare festival in Cedar City. Big cast (14), funny plot (one character cannot pronounce any consonants so everyone thinks he's emotionally unbalanced). Minuses: kind of naughty (act 2 takes place in a hotel where "married people go- just not with each other"), crazy set (2 bed need to be on a revolving platform in Act 2), and Act 2 probably has over 290 entrances and exits with the entire cast that have to happen lightening quick.


Inspecting Carol- A funny comedy about a group of actors putting on the worst performance you've ever seen of A Christmas Carol. I think this could work (even being performed in February), and there are 5 women and 6 men. Minuses: the set has to fall down at the end of the show (not really that hard for my stage crew to do...) and the jokes may be to theatre-insidey.


Postmortem- A Sherlock Holmes play. 10 person cast (4 women, 6 men)- interesting plot/mystery. Minuses: Act 1 is kind of talky- lots of "effects" (sound and technical).
Any other ideas? Plays only! (Comedy or mystery- I'm trying to stay close to the same genre that Is He Dead? is).

3 comments:

Arianne said...

They all sound fun. I'd probably do Rumors though.

Mary said...

I loved "Blithe Spirit" at the Shakespearean Festival a few years ago, but Rumors sounds good.

Bradley Moss said...

You know how I feel about Rumors, but then there's the whole Neil Simon language-issue (blasted F-word). I love A Flea in her Ear, but don't know if Riverton City is ready for that randy show (although I laughed so hard I literally cried all through intermission). Whatever you choose will be hilarious I'm sure.
Shawnda