Sunday, August 31, 2008

Food Storage


Tonight as I went to make a nice Sunday dinner of turkey breast, stuffing, etc., I pulled out my bag of Costco potatoes- only to discover, like my favorite childhood book of old- Bunnicula, someone had drained the potatoes of all of there liquid leaving them brown and misshapen (and, while not completely inedible, nothing that you'd want to peel for dinner). Those of you that know and love me realize that there isn't a meal on earth that cannot be improved with potatoes- especially my Labor Day tribute to Thanksgiving. Needless to say, I was ready to scratch the entire meal and make spaghetti instead, but then, Jackie reminded me we had, in our food storage, potato pearls!! Even better than instant, these potatoes are made in a cannery for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints- and even contain artificial butter flavoring. So I took my one cup pearls (which looked a lot like the potato version of Dippin' Dots ice cream) and slowly stirred in 2 cups hot water. I stirred and stirred, but nothing resembling any mashed potatoes I've ever had appeared. I even pulled out the electric mixer- which proceeded to give the mashed potatoes the consistency of cream cheese frosting. Our 3-year old Millie (who HATES potatoes) tried a sample and declared they were "gross baby-food". I added more potato pearls to thicken and achieved a consistency similar to Kentucky Fried Chicken mashed potatoes. Covered with a lot a lot of gravy, you could fool yourself a little- but me and the 1-year olf were the only people that ate them.
Needless to say, I learned my lesson. I shall save our food storage (which currently consists of Vitamin Water, Diet Coke, potato pearls, hot coco, lots of Kelloggs cereal, strawberry Pop-Tarts, corn and kidney beans) for when the earthquake arrives- and I will eat them the way God intended: in a cup, with a spoon, like Dippin' Dots.

4 comments:

Judy Tan said...

The trick to Potato Pearls is adding the water a little at a time, and only using about half of what is called for. Then, they are actually quite good! Unless, of course, I have the palate of a goat.

Jacks said...

AHHHH - funny Judy. We laughed out loud. And now, everyone knows that we will not be the ones to go to for food storage. Plus, these potato pearls are from, like, 1995 - which may be why they didn't taste so hot.

Arianne said...

Bunnicula...what a great book. Maybe Ellis is a vegetable vampire?

Emmy said...

I love potato pearls! They save me many a night when I need a quick side dish to go with grilled chicken. I boil the water first, then add the precious pearls. I don't measure...I guess until I get the consistency close to my liking.