Thursday, August 21, 2008

Back to School

I've been back to school for 3 days, but it feels like longer because we have no air conditioning in the building. The Main Office doesn't turn on any lights (I think there are two reasons for this- 1- to keep it cool. 2- to hide from parents. They also have enough fans whirring (which, as one secretary puts it, helps regulate the hot flashes) around that when you're talking on the phone in there, it sounds like you're on the tarmac with a jet engine.

The room where I teach Film Studies always has only run two temperatures- the bowels of hell and meat locker. I prefer meat locker so the kids stay awake while watching the comedic stylings of Buster Keaton- but if the heat keeps up like it has been, I'll be taking them outside and teaching them primitive film making by having them make shadow puppets on the side of the school.

On a somewhat unrelated item, I love receiving my new school supplies. I like freshly opened packages of Post-its, dry erase markers, erasers and I like putting up new bulletin boards (even better is having drama officers putting up new bulletin boards). I like putting up the calendar for the month and unpacking new scripts for our library. I like opening media center catalogues and looking for a new book cart (now available in 7 colors!) and I like trying to figure out how to get a substitute teacher on the new district sub website. I love the beginning of school (until the first auditions happen and dreams are crushed, never to be revived again). Happy 2008-2009 school year!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The 5th school year since I left so very very long ago. I suddenly feel the need for orthopedic shoes and a cane.

Tara said...

I'll suggest my students take your class when they get to RHS. One of them recently commented that they have NEVER been in a classroom as hot as mine. But I don't think we've reached "Bowels of Hell" levels yet, so it'll give them something to look forward to.