Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Grandma


So my Grandma Eaton passed away on Saturday- not unexpected, but it's made me think of her:

  • I remember that she loved to dance.  When I was taking tap at BYU, I went to visit her and she did time steps with me in the kitchen.
  • She always had big Vitamin C pills that we all liked eating.  She also always had candy in a dish in her kitchen.  Sometimes it was the good stuff, other times it was hard candy in the shape of fruit.  I ate both.
  • She had decorative soaps in the shape of flowers and seashells in her bathroom.  I was too scared to use them.
  • She had a cool mail slot that went into her house so you didn't have to go outside to get the mail.
  • I directed my first productions in her backyard- a clothesline with blankets makes a fine curtain.  Forcing siblings and cousins (except Richard... no room for Richard....) to be in your lip syncs, melodramas, etc. in the backyard.  She would always pull up a lawnchair and watch.
  • She taught me how fun it is to say, "good hell".
  • I remember, before they sold their land, when their backyard would get a water turn and water would be up to your ankles.
  • She found my dad's old (#2, #3) Spiderman comic books in the closet.  There was mold at the top so she cut it off and gave them to me.  I still think of Spiderman when I smell mold...
  • She came to EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) that you could come to.  Church talks, plays, Grandparents day at school... she was there as an audience member.
  • I remember thinking her RV was glamorous.
  • I remember when Grandpa and Grandma Eaton stayed at our house while my parents were away.  We ate dinner at 4:00pm.  
Above all else, she was a kind, fun, dancing, Grandma who lived a fascinating (and a somewhat mysterious) life.  She let me crash at her house in Orem all the time and was always fun (even when she swatted your butt--- hard...)  We love you Grandma!  I'm sure you're dancing a time step in heaven with Grandpa.

2 comments:

Kelsey Eaton said...

This is terrific!

Arianne said...

Lots of good memories...a very nice tribute.