Thursday, December 2, 2010

Black Friday


So last Thursday night, Jackie and I decided to brave the crowds at Walmart at midnight in Brigham City. We arrived around 11:45pm. I was on assignment to get some $1.97 DVD's for my brother Tim (he wanted the Bourne trilogy) and we were going to look for some presents for the girls.

After wandering around a bit (no cart for us), I hung around electronics (with 1000's of others) while Jackie staked out toys. Around midnight, there was honest to goodness shrieking (the same sound I would imagine that starts human sacrifice) as Walmart employees began opening their palates of stuff. Jackie scored a Zhu-Zhu pet- but it was at the risk of life and limb. Try as I might, I could not get into the aisles with the DVD's (Walmart intentionally put the DVD palates in narrow aisles so you had to maneuver for them). When I finally got there, I could only get the Bourne Ultimatum for Tim (but I could have gotten him every season of Sex and the City). I tried to get to the Wii games, but by the time I got there, there wasn't anything I wanted (because people were carrying them away by the 20's- I don't even think they stopped to look at titles). I did score a $10 Toy Story 3 DVD (which I was very proud of) and Jackie got a Snuggie for Millie and some games for Ellis.

After the madness, the real Christmas joy began. We stood in line for about an hour to get $47 worth of stuff. Thinking back on it, I should have gone up and gotten some magazines to read in line, but I didn't.

After Walmart I had contemplated going to Kohls for their 3:00am opening- but decided it wasn't worth it. Give me my Amazon and Costco and my shopping will be done without super long lines.

3 comments:

GrannyLanny said...

I'm still waiting for your list....

Jacks said...

I quite enjoyed the hour plus in line. Why? I met some really interesting people and it was fun to people watch and see what everyone else was buying. Fun!

Arianne said...

I'm impressed you braved the crowds. Ben went to Walmart to try and get me a sewing machine--no luck. People just grab whatever they get and run to line. He said he was actually grateful they didn't have the sewing machine because he would have been in line for three hours...which is why I also do online shopping.