Monday, September 27, 2010

Sports Related Injury

It's not often that you hear the following sentence associated with me. I have a sports related injury.

Sure, there was the minor concussion I got the one time I got roped into playing church softball so our ward wouldn't have to forfeit. I went to catch the ball, missed, and it bounced off the top of my head.

Or there was the time I was on a jetski at a scout camp (the kind of jetski you had to start on your stomach, move to your knees and then stand up), lost all upper body strength in the middle of the lake, wasn't wearing glasses or contacts, rode all around the lake on my belly while squinting and trying to find our camp- thinking I've found it, riding up onto the beach swearing that I'll never do that again, realizing that it's not my camp and they are random strangers, flopping back down on my belly (a very majestic exit) and riding along shore until I find our camp. I think my sore arms the entire trip were sports related injuries.

And let's not forget the time my sister Emily and I were in the back yard on the monkey bars having a chicken fight when she kicked my gonads so hard that I thought I was going to puke them up. I think a chicken fight is a sport.

Well, after playing Super Mario Bros on Wii with Jackie all weekend, I have Nintendo thumb on my left hand from pushing so hard. It hurts to put anything on that thumb- but it was totally worth it because we made it to World #3 because of my injured thumb. There were times I wanted to give up- throw in the towel- weep about not being able to have Mario stand still on the ice worlds- but I persevered and the injury is totally worth it. I may have to play with a band aid tonight- but we're making it to World 4 if I have to cut it off completely. Go sports!

4 comments:

Jacks said...

Clin - admit it. you are a full on addict. And I would like to say that I did not play the entire weekend. You jumped from level 1 to level 3 during the 12 hours I was on the computer doing homework. You know, in case everyone thinks that my priorities are out of order.

GrannyLanny said...

It would be sad if you have to have carpal (?) tunnel surgery because of a Mario-thumb.

Emmy said...

Thank you for making me laugh hard. I miss your stories. The jet ski one is my favorite.
And, for that chicken fight....it was the initial swing off the ladder where my knee got you. I was baffled how you dropped right off the bar and went howling into the house.

Unknown said...

I can definitely sense your passion for playing the game, Clin! Haha. Kidding aside, I hope that your thumb is alright. Although some may say that it is quite a minor injury, it could still affect your hand’s mobility. Better slow down on using the injured thumb, or you will have a hard time handling those joysticks in the long run!

Regards,
Madalyn