Wednesday, July 14, 2010

NYC Adventures (2010 Day 1)

Aah, the pleasures of a red-eye flight. Arriving at 9:30pm- checking everyone in (well, I socialized, Jackie did the checking), having 3 students get detained at security because they were over 18 and didn't have a government issued ID- just a student id- having a guard call homeland security on them- taking forever- then finally letting them through- calling parents to send a birth certificate so we don't have the problem coming back- ahh, fun times.
Even with Jet Blue's lovely leg room and TV, it's still a red-eye. I tried to be prepared and took a melatonin before boarding- and I even bought Jackie and myself inflatable neck pillows with fleece covers. I over inflated "the bladder" (as it says on the package) of the pillow which wouldn't let my head go one way or the other- it looked like I was in a neck brace. I released some of the air- only to find it uncomfortable. Jackie was on the other side of the aisle nestled against a window seat by the Coxes- I was next to my parents- my mom sleeping somewhat soundly after taking a combination of 42 pills while my dad stayed awake watching a shark movie on the USA network. Oh- Jet Blue also passed out free Hanes T-shirts as we boarded. I tried to use it as a pillow but it was still uncomfortable. But, no matter- our group of 70 (2 people already had flown in from Arizona and were doing laundry because a can of hairspray had exploded inside their suitcase) was ready to go.
We were stirred around 1:00am by an announcement from the pilot asking if there was a doctor on board. I prodded my dad but I don't think they were looking for a doctor of mechanical engineering. The person turned out to be ok, but the pilot put his foot on the gas because we arrived at JFK 20 minutes early (around 5:40am).
Looking and smelling like zombies, we collected our luggage (nothing lost) and loaded our three buses to the city. I don't remember our drivers name, but he was great- he pointed out lots of stuff to our group and got us to our hotel pretty quick (even taking some detours to show my students some other stuff). The other half of our group had a first time driver that got lost and wasn't sure where he was going.
The Hampton Inn was a little overwhelmed by our groups arrival (they had 1 poor porter taking in all of our luggage- students and Mr. Cox helped) but they welcomed our group and told them to come in and eat breakfast. My mom was so delirious that she tripped and fell in front of the hotel- and asked if she could check-in then (at 8:00am no rooms were ready).
After our group ate, we were off on the subway to Brooklyn. I was a little nervous about it because I have never been to Brooklyn- let alone leading a group of 72. The subway was right across from our hotel and it was hilarious waiting for the entire group to get through the turnstiles before we all entered the train.

We got to Brooklyn and, on a clear, sunny and warm June day walked across the Brooklyn Bridge. The group had a great time and when we reached the other side- even though we were going on no sleep, we were off to St. Paul's by Ground Zero. St. Paul's wasn't open until 10:00am so I took a few students to Ground Zero- but our group got separated and divided (Jackie was at the back and I was at the front) and it took MUCH longer to get to the viewing windows of Ground Zero (and when we got there, my entire group had to pee- led of course by my mother...) but we made it back to St. Paul's and then it was off to Grand Central.

We were going to attempt a little tour of Grand Central but, because of sleep deprivation, everyone was a little loopy so we all ended up eating and relaxing at the Food Court underneath Grand Central- while Jackie took me, my parents and the Coxes on a little guided tour.
We then (after almost leaving my parents behind because of dawdling) were off to the NYC Public Library- which, while being open, is having it's front facade redone so the awesomeness of the building was dampened a bit- but students loved going inside and looking at everything Jackie recommended- everyone that is except my parents who were going to go try to see if our room was ready (it wasn't).
After that, it was off to Times Square- but we were sidetracked by the arrival of The Naked Cowboy which caused our group to be split up all over the place. We met up at the Times Square Visitors Center where I briefly became the tour guide to people not in our group because they were overhearing my advice to my students about how to get cheap tickets the next day. My favorite was the cute Indian couple asking me if i recommended La Cage or Fela! like I worked there. We then took students to show them how TKTS works- and again, I became a tour guide to other people listening to my explanation.
After that it was check-in- for some people (almost everyone except Jackie, me and my parents). After getting everyone situated (and Jackie only becoming delirious briefly), it was into our room for a nap.
After the nap, we met everyone for Next to Normal- which most of our group loved (we had one student weeping so loudly at the end of the show the mom next to him was worried about him). I still think the show is amazing and I was happy to see Alice Ripley before she left.

After the show, kids got autographs and then it was time for John's Pizzeria (famous from our 2008 trip where Jackie and I took half our pizza into Spring Awakening and where my tech boys saw the Jonas Brothers eating lunch) right across the street from the theatre. Our group had unlimited calzones, salad, soda and wood-fired pizza. I collected the $$ as students came in- and after everyone left, me, Jackie and my parents looked like mafia counting out all of the money for the restaurant. After that, we walked up to the hotel and quickly went straight to bed for fun the next day.

2 comments:

Jacks said...

Oh my goodness. Just reading that makes me tired.

Next to Normal - I love you!

GrannyLanny said...

Thanks for bringing all back to memory--Despite the severe sleep deprivation that was a really fun day--and I ate the best baklava ever.