Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nudity

Our 2-year old daughter would much prefer life if she could be naked 24-7. Despite the fact that the current temperature in the city of Lehi is 4 degrees, she does not want to wear clothes. The only exception to the nudity is when I put on a particularly rockin version of I Am A Child of God sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in which she runs up to her room, puts on a fluorescent orange dancing skirt and comes down and dances all around the kitchen to it. This may come close to blasphemy, but I really think the Mormon Tabernacle Choir would strike a chord with a new demographic if the next time they sang I Am A Child of God all of them wore nothing but orange dancing skirts. I'm not saying it needs to be in conference, maybe somewhere a little less formal. The Days of 47 Parade perhaps? The inauguration of the next President of the United States? No one would look twice if they chose to be topless when singing on their next European tour- they would probably just need to tone down the orange in the skirts so it would be appropriate for the world's greatest concert halls.

It's not just the issue that she enjoys being nude- she enjoys putting on her pajamas every night after her bath- but the second she gets into bed, all of the clothes come off- and she won't put them back on. It's considered a successful bedtime if she puts on underwear- which, by the way, she insists on changing four times a day- when, of course, she chooses to wear it in the first place.

I've decided she must get it from my side of the family. Jackie loves pajamas and no matter how thick they are, she manages to come to bed freezing every night. She insists on putting her frozen extremities on my carcass- thus making me freeze. I am like our daughter- I enjoy wearing pajamas up to the point of actually going to bed. I get too hot to actually wear them in the bed itself. It can be awkward if Jackie is gone in the evening because frequently I lounge about the house in various states of undress- and without fail, it's the night the bishopric comes by for a visit- at which point I have to dash upstairs and try to find clothes.

If there ever is a fire, we'll be a sorry sight standing in front of our burning home- me in my underwear, Millie in her Princess Ariel underwear, Ellis in her bundle and Jackie in several layers of pajamas- most likely freezing.