Saturday, January 5, 2008

2008 Confessions

Since the New Year is a time for reflection and renewal, I am using this blog to publicly air the following personal confessions:

Guitar Hero III is more addicting than crack. Not that I've tried crack- but if it weren't for the fact that we have Guitar Hero III on our computer and our computer is in the baby's room so we are unable to play when the baby is sleeping, I'm sure that after just 7 days of playing, Jackie and I would be homeless on the highway, our children would have been taken away Britney Spears style (without the bodyguard standoff) and we would be selling our organs and fleshly delights just to pass the song "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison. And the thing is, I'm not that good. I have not gone past the Easy level- which is frightening considering that each song can be passed off on Easy, Medium, Hard and Expert. Look for Jackie and I to be entering rehab (watch for the paparazzi vans in front of our house) shortly.

I love filling out calendars at the beginning of a new year with important dates (and not so important dates). Christmas break is not complete without a trip to Borders to get 4 or 5 calendars at 50% off for home and school. I like to look up dates for the upcoming school year so I know what days I'll have off, how long Christmas break will be next year (2 full weeks baby!) and I like to fill in people's birthdays. I do not know why I get such a thrill out of doing this, but I think my brain would explode in delight if I could figure out a way to fill out a calendar while playing Guitar Hero simultaneously.

Finally, although this is not a confession, I just finished Ken Follett's sequel to Pillars of the Earth. It's called World Without End and takes place during the middle ages and the bubonic plague. 1st of all, I don't think I could have lived back then because of the lack of undergarments worn by peasants (which I'm sure I would have been one of). I am guessing the plague was brought about by both rats, ticks and severe chaffing. Also, it's sad to say, but I think I would have joined a roving group of Christian believers that hook up with a crazy monk that go from village to village performing various biblical stories. I'm not sad about that part, but what usually happens after the bible stories and the calls for repentence comes public scourging and whipping yourself until you get money from the local peasants. I don't think I could get up the courage to whip myself (again, I don't even like mild chaffing), but I think the monk would make me go around with my hat and force me to collect the money from the villagers. I think this all stems from my days in telemarketing before college.

If you're in the Salt Lake area on Monday, come to my high school and check out our Broadway musical revue at 7:00pm. My students rock and they are performing a bunch of numbers from a variety of shows. They're really good!

No comments: