Tuesday, August 7, 2012

NYC 2012 Day #4

Charging ahead to Friday, we awoke to the dulcet sounds of Justin Bieber shutting down midtown Manhattan with a performance on the Today show.  Jackie being a fan insisted on waking up early to get within 5 blocks (not joking there- he shut down five blocks for his concert) of the Biebs.  Not. 
Instead, we opted to sleep in a bit and then get everyone over (after minor subway waiting- we were on the wrong platform- thank you kind woman that told us to walk around after waiting for 20 min...) to the Upper East Side to go to the Metropolitan Museum with our guided docent tour (Jim Spann!  The best- not kidding- the best).
Cloud City on the roof of the museum.  Only 12 people at a time allowed in.
After some great time in the museum (and me and Renae being brave and walking through the really cool roof-top sculpture that was made of plexiglass and mirrors- and took you 40 feet on top of the Met), we took a big chunk of the group through Central Park (with the usual stops- Bethesda Fountain, Strawberry Fields) and then it was the Clin Eaton eating tour of the Upper West Side.
We began with Grey's Papaya, followed by Levain Bakery (where we ran into Utah friend Rachel who was in 1776 with me and is now auditioning in NYC for roles).  For those who were extra adventurous (not Jackie), we headed over to Grom for some gelato (or in my case, a refreshing granita) and then, miracle of miracles, Amanda Cox found Beard Papa's- a famous cream puff restaurant and of course we had to fill up.
After that, for those that were more daring, (the Coxes, Kelly DeHaan and Jackie) it was off to Pomme Frites where we had fries with lots of good dips- and then almost watched Kelly vomit into the street.  We figured after that it was time for a foot rub so we zipped around the corner to a foot rub place that Jackie and I discovered in 2011.  The guy was a bit overwhelmed when 5 people all needing 50 minute footrubs walked in, but after a quick phone call, we were all having our calves washed (Amanda, Jackie and Kelly in the back room, Brent and I on the sofa in the front of the store).  I was complemented many times on my feet (she kept slapping them saying "so nice") and we felt great after that.
After a delicious dinner at Eatery (with the Coxes and Renae- I don't know where Jackie's dad was), it was off to Nice Work If You Can Get It

Now Matthew Broderick didn't get the best reviews, but I found him hilarious (along with the rest of the cast).  The story was fun and we saw the 2 Tony winners for Best Supporting actor and actress.  Plus, Kelli O'Hara and Matthew Broderick were super nice to my students and even posed for pictures with them. 
Jackie had a headache and went and fell asleep while some of us went to a diner on 9th.  We should have gone back and slept because the food was gross and the service was worse.  I should have slept because Saturday was going to be an early morning for Ray's B-day and Father's Day- it was an early morning to get Once rush tix...

2 comments:

Jacks said...

Hey - I was brave and went through Cloud City. I was tricked but I went and was absolutely terrified. A la vertigo.

And not going to Grom had absolutely nothing to do with bravery and everything to do with being sick and tired of food.

And finally -- I did not have a headache. I had a heartache. And was tired. Oh how quickly the memories fade.

Just had to clarify:) And I quite enjoyed Matthew Broderick and Nice Work if you Can Get it. Shout out to my favorite part. THe lead lady singing My Funny Valentine while loading her gun.

Clin A. Eaton said...

She actually sang Someone to watch over me... And you had a heartache because you weren't filling your heart with granita.