Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fix It Again



So the day after the great garbage disposal replacement, the toilet in the master bathroom was acting up. Now this toilet has always been what you might call, chatty, but now it just didn't shut up. So, Jackie turned off the water to it and we stopped using it.


On Saturday, we actually opened the tank and discovered some sort of red rubber ring had disintegrated. So, feeling flush with confidence after fixing the garbage disposal, I headed off to Home Depot to grab a new toilet thingy (I believe those were the exact words I used with the nice Home Depot gentleman).


I found a part that looked correct, went home, took the tank off the toilet and put it in the sink and realized that I did not have a big enough wrench to take the piece off.


Off I went to Walgreens. Bought the largest wrench they had. Took it home. Too small (but it was ok because that same wrench had been dropped into a hollow fence post by my brother never to be seen again). Off to Home Depot yet again. Grabbed the correct wrench (no roller blading brother-in-law this time!)


So about 40 minutes later, the part was replaced, the tank was back on- only to discover our old flusher was not compatible with this new part. Off to Home Depot yet again.


New flusher? Check. Tank back on? Check. Leaving for a birthday party in exactly one minute? Check.

I proceed to turn the water back on- the tank fills- hurray! no leaks so far. Everything looks good.

Jackie comes in. I, standing proudly by the commode, pronounce the toilet fixed and chatter free.

I flush.


And every ounce of water in the damn tank falls onto the floor out of the back of the tank.


Jackie and I frantically grab every towel in the house to stop the deluge.

There is no time to fix it, because we are late for a 1-year old's birthday party.

I enter the party angry at our toilet. Rollerblading brother-in-law's father (in town from California) and my dad are around for the party and agree to come back and look at it.

Long story short, I had ended up not putting on one of the tank seals (a very crucial part I discovered) and after a yet another trip to Home Depot (with roller blading brother in law's father), who, truth be told, just ended up fixing it himself while I nodded my head and pretended to know exactly what he was talking about.

But it's fixed! And no longer gurgles in the night.

3 comments:

Jacks said...

I recall that the test flush occurred while I was not in the room, and I only discovered that all of the water in the tank came out when I noticed a ton of water still on the floor....even though you mentioned having wiped it up. Oh, and remember when you used the white towel to wipe off the disgusting black goo that was all over the bathroom from taking the toilet a part? AND the water that dripped through the floor into the basement due to the elusive test flush? Golden details that I just had to add. Good times. And thank goodness for family.....right?

GrannyLanny said...

I am impressed with all the skills that Clin is acquiring. Are you on first name basis with the folks at Home Depot?

Clin A. Eaton said...

I don't recall any of that.