Friday, January 28, 2011

Up To

So last week, Jackie I and journeyed south to St. George, Utah for the annual Utah Theatre Conference at Dixie State College. It's a fun weekend of warm weather, meeting up with theatre teacher friends from across the state, watching shows, going to workshops and getting off of your bathroom routine because you're eating a lot of crap.
First, we took students to see this:

Now, I have seen over 150 Broadway shows, both in New York and touring shows. But, in all of my years of teaching, I have NEVER seen The Phantom of the Opera. Bizarrely, I've seen Cats 4 times, Les Miserables 4 (not counting our school production last year), Wicked 4, etc. etc. But Phantom? Never.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised AND, if you are going to see it, the Las Vegas production is the way to go. 90 minutes, no intermission and amazing technical effects that are not in the Broadway or London production. Plus, we had an amazing 45 minute talkback with the stage manager, stunt coordinator, Christine understudy, spotlight operator and a backstage worker. Fantastic experience.
Over the weekend we also saw a production of Once on this Island- which has the distinction of being the first musical Millie ever saw (when she was 3 weeks old).
Also, last week I took students to see the hilarious comedy Black Comedy at Pioneer Theatre Company. Great show which I first saw at BYU.
Also, now that it's a new year, start planning to put in your deposit for our NYC trip in 2012 in October. We are taking 2 trips. One for students and their parents and one for adults and alumni. That should help keep the numbers manageable.

No comments: