Sunday, February 28, 2010

Prop Shopping


So I went to DI yesterday to buy props for my region play. I'm doing a play based on Greek mythology so I needed a bunch of dolls for the girls in the show to portray the Sirens and Furies.
Did you know that DI removes the clothing off Barbie dolls? Well they do. There I am, standing in the middle of the toy aisle with children running all around me picking up various nude Barbie dolls and trying to examine them while trying to emanate non-threatening vibes ("I am not a pervert. I am not a pervert.") After I found the perfect 12 dolls (and a big pink plush snake which will be used to kill Eurydice), I walked up to checkout. There I am, a 34 year old man with a big scary beard holding a 6 foot pink plush snake and 12 completely naked Barbie dolls. A little girl looked at me and whispered to her dad asking why I was holding 12 Barbies. He didn't answer, but he subtly shifted himself and his daughter away from me.
To top off the embarrassment, my debit card magnetic strip would not be read- so I was at the register for what felt like 8 hours with the pile of naked dolls (not yet bagged) in a plastic heap in front of me as the clerk gave me accusatory eyes. I quickly escaped to my vehicle and drove away quickly- still feeling somehow ashamed for what I had done.

5 comments:

Jacks said...

I am so completely creeped out by this. Seriously. I'm embarrassed just thinking about it. And I know it was a crowded DI Saturday. And just picturing your fabulously unkept beard and long, shaggy hair. I would have moved my child away from you too.

MamaBug said...

Ha! How bad is it when even your wife thinks you're creepy. :P

I hope to get to come see you in Fiddler. If I can work it out, I'll let you know which night. :)

Amy Mak said...

ha ha... can see it now! Glad you are posting again!!

Arianne said...

Wow, that is totally creepy. Hopefully no one you know saw you. I'm also impressed that they had a giant pink snake--DI is great.

Mindy Curtis said...

Attention! I just discovered your blog! I love it and now I'm going to follow it. :)

Mindy (McKinnon) Curtis