Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fall Theatre


Being a high school drama teacher, I get to see a lot of shows. Here are some memorable ones from the past 4 weeks:
Charlotte's Web- I took Millie down to Utah Valley University to see their inaugural show in there brand new children's theatre. I also wanted to go see former Riverton students playing Fern and Fern's mom. The show (directed by the great Christopher Clark), was fantastic with the 2 actors manipulating and voicing puppets for all of the animals. It was great- and Millie loved it. They had a great educational outreach program for the all the kids to do activities based on the show. Millie's favorite part was petting the Charlotte puppet on our way out.
A Chorus Line- we took 40 students up to see the educational matinee of A Chorus Line at Pioneer Theatre Company. I was excited because I had never seen it on stage (and the movie is horrible). We were in the first 4 rows and it was a fantastic show. The dancing was great and it was fun reading student play critiques about how there wasn't a set- but there didn't need to be. It'll be fun referencing the show in Musical Theatre class and why the show was so revolutionary in the 70's when it first was on Broadway.
The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged- This show is always a favorite- I show the film version in Theatre 3- and the production at the Utah Shakespearean Festival did not disappoint. Even Jackie chuckled a little- which is usually pants-wettingly funny for me. I felt a little exposed in my seat because it was sticking out from everyone else- so needless to say, I got pulled up on stage and was made to run all around during the show. Jackie was greatly concerned for the state of my britches- she says it was her prayers alone that made them stay up as I ran around, but I would have been aware of any potential "wardrobe malfunction" and was completely in control of the whole situation. The 3 actors had great timing and it was a fantastic show.



Tuesday's With Morrie- All I knew about this show was that Jackie had to read the book for a class at the U and she hated Mitch- she thought he made all his money off of Morrie. I have to say the play production at The Utah Shakespeare Festival was pretty powerful and everyone from our school was weeping (sometimes hilariously so). Jackie immediately lined everyone up for pictures after that show to forever capture their tear stained faces.
Curtains- This was a show that a lot of people went to in New York of 2008- but Jackie and I didn't so we used my two free comps (from doing Cash on Delivery in Jan.) and went. It was really fun- and a lot of friends were in the cast and they were great. It was a fun production- but I wish that Jackie was cast as Carmen- she could play that part really well (although Camille was fantastic).

1 comment:

Jacks said...

*sigh *sigh - thanks for believing baby.

And let me add - it's not that I don't enjoy a good comedy. It just has to be really funny to surprise me, and make me laugh outloud. I'm not a loud laugher.

And, And - I didn't think that Mitch made all his money off Morey, he had money before the book. BUT the book was all about Mitch, and he made TONS off of the brilliance that was Morrie. And that kind of rubs me the wrong way.