Thursday, April 3, 2008

Road Trip Day #2



Thursday morning, we all awoke, fresh as daisies ready for morning dew.
Oops- that was a lie.

Jackie and I figured the girls had such a bad night that they would be zonked and they would probably sleep in. We were wrong. At 7:30am on the dot, Ellis was squealing with delight from her bed (put in the bathroom the night before). Her squeals awoke Millie- who awakened singing Reflection from Disney's Mulan. I asked how she felt- and as if the last night was a hallucination- she said she was fine.

I was feeling much better so I helped get both girls ready- and all three of us helped Jackie wake up by pouncing on her.
We went down to the breakfast buffet where Millie feasted on fruit and oatmeal (she fed her chocolate waffle to Ellis), Clin feasted on eggs, bacon and pecan pie (I love me a Vegas buffet) and Jackie (with her fractured elbow mind you) had an elderly gentleman take her plate and walk with her from station to station to dish up what she wanted. Ellis primarily shrieked when she was being ignored, drank a bottle, ate Millie's waffle and made a filthy mess below her high chair.
After breakfast, we went back to the room, packed up, called the bellhop for our luggage, and held Millie as she screamed when she slammed her finger in the door.
As soon as we were on the road to San Diego, (Jackie with her Diet Dr. Pepper, Clin with a cranberry juice in hand), the girls (Jackie included) promptly fell asleep- leaving Clin to listen to the one radio station that comes in clearly between Baker and Barstow cities.
After a yummy lunch at In-N-Out, we realized that Millie was constipated. After much bribing and treat offering, Jackie tried to get her to poop in the In-N-Out bathroom, to no avail.
On the road again- no stops till San Diego!
It was pretty non-eventful between Barstow and San Diego (except for nearly rear-ending a cabbage truck).
We arrived at our motel ($12.00 a day for parking? Shame on you Dana Inn). Our room overlooked the pool- which Millie and I promptly jumped in to. Jackie came down and fed Ellis while Millie tried to catch the ducks that got in the pool with us. One sad thing about our hotel- the bathroom was not big enough to put Ellis in a night.

After dinner (where Ellis flirted with nearby tables by throwing Cheerios at them and Millie ate a piece a bread and ignored the rest of her food), we went back to our room and put Ellis to bed. We also put Millie in bed (Poop-Watch 2008- nothing so far...) and as Jackie and I looked at each other with love in our eyes- we realized that we couldn't turn on the tv or any lights to read- so the Eaton's went to bed at 8:00pm that night (Jackie and I didn't even dare breathe because Ellis would hear it...). Our San Diego adventure was officially under way!




6 comments:

Arianne said...

I could've been there too...throwing cheerios with Ellis. Too bad I had to work.

Jacks said...

Clarification - it was not an elderly man who helped me with my plate at the buffet. I was trying to get something on my plate with my left hand. It was precariously balanced (To all the Buffet owners out there - your sneeze glass is much too low for tall people who can only use one arm)and I dropped it back in the pan a couple of times.

A young Asian man took my plate without speaking a word, and put it on my plate for me and handed it back to me. It was very Jane Austin of him - and I was shocked, and honored, that anyone younger than myself would even think of doing that for me without saying a word. (I'm pretty sure Clin would have left me on my own just for laughters sake). Plus I just assume that in my broken arm state, people pretty much look away as they see me so frazzled looking (can't do much with the hair, face, with one arm - and thus everything else seems to go downhill with it.)

Clin - you forgot to mention that when we went to dinner that night, Ellis let out one loud scream to try and get our attention. Everyone in the restaurant (and I am not exagerating) stopped and turned and stared. It was perfect timing and if I hadn't been there I would have thought someone had planned it for an awesome YouTube video or something like that.

After these posts no one is going to want to travel with us ever again.

Sherry Carpet said...

Um, Hello... You're in San Diego? What is the occasion and how come I didn't know you were planning to be a mere 1.5 hours away from me?

Mary said...

What adventures -- it may be worse than when the clan on TLC's "Jon and Kate Plus 8" went to Park City to ski. A plane ride with six three-year-olds comes pretty close to a road trip with a toddler, baby and fractured elbow.

Jacks said...

Krista -
We went to San Diego and returned before you left Florida. Clin is just slow to post. But next time we are in your area -- oh we are so popping in!

Annaca said...

We can't wait to see what happened on day #3!